Update July 9: This ad is also running in Politco and Roll Call.
Today we have an ad running in the Washington Examiner, a D.C. publication. The ad, titled “Wayne’s World,” exposes some of the links between Humane Society of the U.S. CEO Wayne Pacelle and less-than-savory incidents and characters.
If you’re a new reader, welcome! There’s a lot of confusion about what the Humane Society of the United States is and isn’t. According to public polling most Americans think HSUS is affiliated with their local humane society. It isn’t. Most Americans think HSUS is giving most of its money to pet shelters. It isn’t. Only 1% of the money raised by the Humane Society of the U.S. is given to pet shelters and HSUS doesn’t run any pet shelters.
As to the ad in particular, you can read up more on each claim:
- HSUS Gets Yet Another “D” Grade from Charity Watchdog
- Do Wayne Pacelle’s Initials Also Stand for Witness Payoff?
- HSUS Dogged by Calls for Short IRS Leash
- USA Today Ad: “Really??”
- HSUS Fundraiser Faces Attorney General Investigations
- Unpacking the HSUS Gravy Train (2012 Edition)
- Congressman Renews Push for IRS Investigation of HSUS